09 June 2015

Landing and Launching

Welcome, or better yet, ようこそ! You have landed at my Japan and JET blog. 青森ボケへようこそ.

Earlier this year, in March 2015, I accepted an offer to move to Japan and teach English to Japanese schoolkids for a year. Since my semester abroad in Shanghai as an undergrad, it's been my dream to live and work abroad. Flash forward more than a decade, and one day I asked myself "Why have I not done this? What am I waiting for?" Finding no satisfactory answer, I decided to do something about it, and... now I have slightly less than eight weeks to wrap up my affairs in the Bay Area and get on a plane to Tokyo, and onward to Aomori Prefecture. That may be a slight simplification of the sequence of events, but at the moment it kind of feels like it happened that way.

I set up this blog with future goals in mind- to be a place to share selected photos, experiences and writings during my time in Japan and beyond; to explore ideas and thoughts in greater depth than facebook or flickr allow; to post timely updates on life when things like leisurely phone calls and videochats may be less than workable.  

I'd like to be able to be more specific about the city or town I will be living in, what my job will entail, whether I'll have speedy and reliable internet, the works, but I don't yet have the info. Much is unknown at this time, information arrives in drips and drops; Japanese Contracting Organizations cannot be rushed. しょうがないね.

In the next few posts I will attempt to describe the actual sequence of events that led to accepting a job in Japan and basically turning my life upside down in short order. 皆さんがんばってください!


No comments:

Post a Comment